Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ohio University pros and cons

Now that I've looked at the pros and cons of Kent State University, I'm going to list and explain my pros and cons about going to grad school at Ohio University.


I had visited Ohio University when deciding on undergrad and loved the campus and school itself. I chose to apply to OU because the school is well known for its Scripps School of Journalism. In fact, according to Wikipedia, The Scripps School "is considered one of the best journalism schools in the country."


Here is a look at my pros and cons for the Ohio University Scripps College of Communication master's of science Journalism program.




Ohio University has one of the top
journalism programs in the country.


Ohio University Pros:

  1. The school is well known for its journalism program. I know that if I went there I would receive a quality education.
  2. The campus is beautiful and is located in a "real" college town. I would be on a campus similar to the one I am now, just on a much larger scale.  

Ohio University Cons:    

  1. The graduate program Ohio University offers is a master's of science in journalism. Since I'm more focused on teaching communication at the college level, I would rather enter a broader communication program than a more specific journalism one.
  2. Ohio University expected me to make a decision on whether or not I would enroll in the fall by April 15. However prior to this date, the school never informed me of my stipend rate or what jobs my graduate assistantship would entail. In order to make an informed decision, I needed to have both of these details clearly explained.
  3. Ohio University is about four hours away from home. I know this isn't extremely far, but I wanted to choose a school that was a little closer to home.
      It probably looks bad that I could only think of two reasons to go to Ohio University, but it just wasn't my top choice for grad schools. I applied there in case I didn't receive the offers I was looking for from Kent State or Ohio State. It's not that Ohio University is a poor grad school, it is just that it isn't the right school for me.

      For help finding a school that is right for you, visit PhDs.org. This site allows you to search for grad schools based on your field of study, and then you can rank the programs based on location, placement, size, diversity, and cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment